Monday, August 15, 2011

Sneak Peak!

Here's a teaser sketch of a new horse-based series I'm doing.  Title still TBA. 


The concept for this series evolved from a much smaller idea I had this morning, stemming from childhood memories of spending time with my dad when he came home from work.

My brother and I used to bounce on his bed and talk with him while my dad changed his socks and washed up and did whatever he had to do to freshen up before dinner.  In the corner of the room there was a pair of shoe trees (I linked this up for those of you who might have forgotten what shoe trees look like!). 

While my dad untied his work shoes, my brother and I would fight over who's turn it was to put the wooden trees in the shoes.  Whenever I got to do it, I would take them and pretend they were horses' hooves and would make the sounds and motions of the different gaits on the floor (walk, trot, canter, gallop, dressage, etc.). 

I wanted to make this innocent imaginative thing into a drawing, but after doing some anatomy sketches of horses' legs I began to notice they were very long and shapely -just like mine!  And so I dropped the shoe tree idea (for now) and began concentrating on the poses and strength in the steps horses take.  My reference horses are from a book I had from when I was a kid where most of the horses are working, doing fancy footwork, or are wearing show gear.  Get ready for a fun series.

No comments:

Post a Comment